Makes 2-4 servings
This vegan take on a traditional Mexican tortilla soup replaces chicken with our Tex Mex Jackfruit. For an authentic touch, use a pasilla chile pepper to give it some heat. Otherwise, use chili powder.
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into ¼ inch strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 toasted pasilla chile or 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 package Tex Mex Jackfruit, shredded with a fork
- Salt to taste
- Diced avocado
- Crumbled cotija cheese or feta cheese
- Mexican crema or sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss the tortilla strips with 1 tablespoon olive oil and evenly spread on a cookie sheet or baking tray.
- Bake the tortilla strips in the oven for 20 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Remove from the oven, allow to cool, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and the garlic and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree, the pasilla chile (or chili powder), and the oregano. Cook until the mixture begins to bubble.
- Add the vegetable broth and the jackfruit and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Bring the heat down to low, and simmer the soup for 20 minutes, covered.
- Add salt to taste.
- To serve, place some of the tortilla strips into a bowl and ladle the desired amount of soup over it.
- Garnish with diced avocado, crumbled cotija or feta cheese, and/or Mexican crema or sour cream.